This afternoon, over 100 members of a coalition in defense of Ethnic Studies gathered at Sather Gate against the impending consolidation of their departments as part of Operational Excellence. OE, it should be noted, has now been exported to UCSB, UCSF, UC Davis, and UCLA. We now have “Organizational Excellence,” “Operational Efficiency,” and God knows how many other variants. If Berkeley shelled out a cool $7 million to Bain, UCLA is using Huron, Davis ScottMadden Management, and Santa Barbara an “individual consultant.” Against this affront to Ethnic Studies under the guise of austerity, the 100-200 students and their faculty allies marched to California Hall after announcing the inauguration of a hunger strike. Eight students are now on hunger strike and stationed in front of California Hall. They have declared their intention of staying the night, so please come out and show your support!
- @ogkabrera: Your Reutherite faction was voted out of office across the state. Get over it. 4 years ago
- Solidarity from South Africa (live at ustre.am/F2oU) 5 years ago
- RT @callie_hoo: At the 9.24.2009 ga, the proposed occupation almost tore everything apart. Now there's consensus on this matter #occupycal 5 years ago
- RT @dailycal: General assembly voted to start an encampment #dayofaction #occupycal 5 years ago
- Tolman Hall held by students and workers. Open occupation. Bring food, water, support, love! Spread the word! bit.ly/oFCDKX 5 years ago
Antonio Gramsci says…"There is no unity between school and life, and so there is no automatic unity between instruction and education."